Not so long ago, I was inspired by the Sentimental Cynic blog when she wrote about saving bees. I’ve heard this many times, but before looking into it I didn’t fully understand the full meaning and consequences of losing bees from the planet.
If the bee disappeared off the face of the earth then man would only have 4 years left to live. No more bees, no more pollination, no more plants, no more animals, no more man! -Albert Einstein
In today’s world, it might not be 4 years, but re precautions are major!
Why are bees important:
- They pollinate about a third of everything we eat, and as we are already over-consuming food from the face of the earth, we do not want to cut out a third of it!
- They pollinate also crops for the cows and they pollinate cotton.
- They pollinate the seeds of flowers and berries that little birds and mammals eat. This would result in a disruption in the ecosystem. Everything in nature is connected.
- In other words, bees need flowers to feed themselves and flowers need bees to reproduce. If bees do not get their food, they will die and everything else would follow. In the UK only, 25 out of 50 species have got extinct in only 50 years.
What is killing bees:
There is no one answer to this, but rather many theories.
- Bees need space for habitat and forage, however, over 97% of the UK’s wildflower meadows have
- Bees need space for habitat and forage, however, over 97% of the UK’s wildflower meadows have dissapeared since 1945.There
- There are parasitic mites and virus.Poor nutrition is
- Poor nutrition, as there not enough flowers that bees like to consume.
- Commercial pesticides, which harm the bees.
What can we do?
- One thing you can do is to support local honey makers and beekeepers.
- To not kill bees or use commercial pesticides. There are pesticides you can make yourself, which are less harmful for bees.
- To plant wildflowers or other flowers that bees like. There are flowers which bees do not like.
Just Bee is a small company, which work to promote beekeeping.They also make Just Bee Honey Water which supports local honey makers. One of their initiatives is to offer people FREE wildflower seeds that you can plant yourself to help the bees. You sign up in here, after which you receive an email that prompts you to send them an envelope with your name and a stamp and within couple weeks you receive your own packet of wildflower seeds that you can plant. Here I am happily planting my own packet and can’t wait for them to grow!
I know many people are afraid of bees, but what I’ve found is if you leave them be they will not hurt you. If they are really attracted to you, well then it is because you smell so nice or because of the colour of your clothes. Bees are attracted to nice scents and certain colours. So be flattered!
If you want to do one good deed for the planet, help the bees and save the ecosystem. We will need it! If you want to read more about this subject here are couple of links that you can follow: Link 1, Link 2, Link 3. Here is also some Pinterest inspiration on bees, how to be bee friendly and how to recognise the bees.
How do you feel about bees?