2018 was a whirlwind of a year for me. There were a lot of happy moments, many successful situations and moments which stopped everything else in my life. Some of the moments made it difficult to reflect on the year. There are memories that are more strongly in my mind and I have to go back all my posts and Instagram to see some of the things that have happened. I know that although 2018 was successful in some ways it wasn’t my favourite year, it seemed to challenge me in many ways and I couldn’t be happier that it is over. To reflect on it and to make goals for 2019 I used the Anushka Reed questionnaire which I mentioned last year as well. I think it will be great for many years to come!
I travelled a fair bit in 2018 visiting Chania in Greece, London, Berlin and a couple of times to Finland. I took the time to see friends and family, and I concentrated even more on studying and writing about sustainability, which is increasingly becoming a topic I am passionate about. I succeeded at work, I grew my Freelance clientele and I’d got a couple of projects with brands on the blog as well. I finally started to feel that I’ve found my voice on my blog and on Instagram, however, my health was stopping me from working as hard as I would’ve wanted to. Also, in July, my beloved cat passed away as he couldn’t stand the excessive heat. It was a shock and is still such a sad memory that I tear up even thinking of him. On the bright side, we took in Tiger to offer our other cat some much-needed company and to bring some noise into our household, which he has definitely accomplished with his tendency to imitate a hurricane when he gets on that mood.
Since the summer I’ve either been too sad and distracted to get much done on the blog nor even been able to concentrate on my goals for the year or in life, or been too busy with work, which definitely helped to deal with grief. In the end, I couldn’t wait for the Christmas break when I could just unwind and finally relax without having to do much.
Some of the high points of the year to me were visiting the Ethical Fashion Showroom in Berlin in January and visiting Circular Economy conference in Glasgow during both of which I was impressed with the number of people who want to make a positive change in the world. Getting Tiger, all my new and existing clients, projects with Green Ecobox and White Spring Bamboo Straws were also amazing things that made the year much better!
How did I do with goals in 2018 (check the goals here)
- I did make several trips as I said above, and with every trip, I strived to be as sustainable as I could. When visiting Crete I even posted my guide for sustainable Crete. With all the other trips I did in 2018 I stayed with friends and family, used public transport, carried always my reusable water bottle and tried to reduce my footprint as much as I could. Unfortunately, I flew to most of my destinations, as it is the fastest form of travel from where I live, but when possible I do try to use the train. I would like to make more posts about how to travel sustainably though!
- I saw my family and friends as much as I could, and I did make effort to spend time with them. I plan to keep this going for the rest of my life as well!
- I did make more than 3 changes to become more sustainable, although I don’t even remember all of them. I made several swaps to zero waste products such as menstrual cup and to less harmful products such as organic pads when necessary. I also started supporting ethical initiatives, stopped buying from companies that weren’t aligned with my ethics. I learned what values I have for life and consumption and started to work on them more.
- I’ve become much more comfortable with people I don’t know and talking to new people. However, I am still nervous in these situations but I am able to go alone into situations which earlier would’ve made me very stressed.
- I did read 36 books and most of which I enjoyed enormously!
- Although I strived for healthy living different things affected my health and I can’t say that I am healthy in body and mind. More in my mind due to doing some small mediation sessions and separating work from relaxation time, but I still have to work on the healthy body.
- I did not learn German, unfortunately, but it is still something I am striving for! And I didn’t quite give myself enough time to be creative, however, I gave myself time, in general, to think and realise some of my dreams.
Goals for 2019
Word to live by this year – While I was investigating what are other people’s goals for this year (because how could I ever come up with the goals for the year myself, without the inspiration from others… just joking, I actually find peoples goals interesting) I saw Elisabeths, from Conscious Life and style, Instagram post about how she set a word to live by for the year instead of a goal. She then asked her readers what word they would live by and I instantly thought that all my plans are arranged under HEALTHY. Healthy in mind and body, not only that but also a healthy attitude towards work, body, relationships, finances, technology. To get everything into a nice balance on which it will be much easier to build my life on. What word would you live by this year?
Although I did like setting a word for the year, I do have some goals to share with you as well.
- Read 36 books – I am not increasing the amount as it was a bit tight this year as well. The books should be a combination of fiction, historical, feminist and sustainability.
- Learn German – As has been my goal for the past couple of years as well.
- Blog routine – I have slipped from my blogging routine in 2018, which I have not been happy about, but life happened and I am not going to feel bad about it. Instead, I will try harder this year to post at least once a week. In addition, I want to fine-tune the topics I write about. I like writing my Happy Favourites posts, which are a slight glimpse into me and my life. The rest of the blog I want to contribute fully to sustainable and ethical fashion and lifestyle in a positive and encouraging way. I also want to share one thing I learned each month about sustainability, ethics or feminism.
- Reduce My Environmental Footprint – Firstly check what is my carbon footprint and then make one change a month and report how I did with that change. Whos with me?
- Blog collaborations – I would love to do a blog collaboration with another blogger. And I would like to do a few more brand collaborations. In 2018 I did a couple which I enjoyed, although was really nervous about, I love letting you know about great companies that are doing something good.
- Travel – I don’t have any travels in mind for 2019, but I know will be travelling a bit. Although I am concerned about sustainability and our environment, I am not ready to give up travelling altogether, instead, I’ll try to do it as sustainably as possible and not fly where possible. I would like to add 1 new country to the list of countries that I’ve visited and to see my family twice this year.
- Social – Although I did great steps in becoming less afraid of new social situations I would like to improve on it and hopefully be more comfortable with them at the end of this year. I know I will never be completely myself in such situations, but I am sure not many people are. Instead, I want to be able to do small talk when needed and not want to run away from networking events.
- Health – One of the things I did a fair bit in 2017 was going out for walks which I have nearly forgotten to do lately. I really need to pick it up again as it helps clear my head and my body feels better after it as well.
What are your goals for 2019 or do you have a word for the year? Let me know in the comment box below. I would also love to know what you think of my plans for the blog for the future or if there is something additional that you would like to read here.