For this year I set myself a goal to read 24 books, 2 per month. Somehow, in February, I managed to read 5 most of which have made me really thankful for being me and being in the position and culture that I am living in. I don’t know about the rest of you but I often take for granted the life I have, and the privileges I have (eating what I want, walking out alone without being harassed, the internet and reading books) without understanding how it is that I got these privileges. It shocks me when I read that some people do not have these privileges or are not allowed to have them. And yes, I find them privileges to us if it is not available to every person on the planet.
I am so used to these things that when I finally found zucchinis after a month of craving them when they were unavailable in shops due to the ‘vegetable crisis’, I was so happy to have them and couldn’t believe that they had been unavailable for so long. I got surprised and ashamed at my thoughts. How did I dare to think that way when for some people this is a reality?
When we are used to getting something it becomes a norm for us, and we get mad/annoyed/frustrated when we don’t get it anymore rather than thankful that we do get it. So in light of this, I want to share what I am thankful for and hope that you share your thankfulness in the comment section.
- I am thankful to have a healthy enough body to be able to do sports, to be able to take care of myself and others, to be able to be independent in my daily life and to be able to do my crafts.
- I am thankful for all the feminists who fought for women’s and equal rights so that now I have the possibility to be educated, choose my career, be independent of men and earn my own living.
- I am thankful to live in a country where I can buy and make almost whatever food I like, whatever clothes and other items I like, where healthcare is important and free for all people, where education is free and where I am free to be of any religion I want.
- I am thankful for my friends and family who have supported me and brought joy and sanity into my life.
- I am thankful for this planet for providing us oxygen that we breathe, beauty in plants, animals and scenery and offering us resources for living.
I hope I will enjoy all of this, many years to come!
What are you thankful for?