It wasn’t too long ago when I got asked this question.
What is sustainability? What does it mean? What does it entail?
We do correlate the term sustainable usually to the environment, however, what is surprising is how little we actually understand it. And as I want to promote and discuss the sustainability within fashion and living I thought it was about time I would discuss the meaning of the term.
To me sustainability means continuity. Continuity of our planet so that it will continue to provide us with earth to live on.
What can we do so that our planet will continue providing to us and supporting us?
Well, we can’t continue using pesticides and dropping toxins and waste on our planet. Earth erodes and pollutes, which harms us through food, water and air. If this will continue, we will not have the space to live, except in litter and we will run out of food and water before long, not even talking about other necessities. Instead, we can become mindful and conscious about what we consume, start making smarter decisions and demand companies to provide us with these options and letting us know about the whole lifecycle of the product. Sustainability is not a thing that only government, companies or consumers would have to think about. It is a thing that everybody should think about!
- The innovation of ways to produce products and food, which keeps our earth providing more.
- Shopping more consciously and products which we believe are not harming the environment (local, organic, etc.)
- Companies which are openly fully transparent with their supply chain and production practices.
- Reinforcing laws in the whole world to ensure the continuity of life on earth.
- Making changes that we will continue making and adapting. Rather than having it as a trend it should be a movement.
- Worldwide\ knowledge and information about the problems and how to tackle them.
I don’t think people will ever stop shopping or wanting new things, but I do think that innovation towards easier ways to recycle products and waste less would be a great start in combination with non-harmful production.
What do you think is sustainability? Have I left anything out in your opinion?